Overall rating

Aroma-Nose

Initial Taste

Body

Finish

Enjoyability

Price

Presentation

This tequila is a bit of a mystery because it is not particularly easy to find in the U.S. I looked long and hard but finally had to settle for buying it in Mexico at a tequila shop in Tlaquepaque. In fact, I bought all four expressions from the blanco to the extra anejo there. What I really liked about the collection was that each bottle was identical except for the glass color. Since this is the blanco, the bottle has no color - clear glass. I thoroughly enjoy the round shape with the perimeter completely fluted. As a set, they look great on the shelf - and then there is the taste.
This is a lowland blanco from Amatitan and comes from a well-known family of agave growers and distillers. The liquid is clear but not completely colorless - just the slightest hint of straw. There are thick legs in a Riedel glass and the nose is very earthy with strong agave tones. The first taste has strong alcohol overtones that mask peppery and spicy
undercurrents. These show up well on the finish and build after multiple tastings. This is a tequila for people who prefer strong flavors - and it is a favorite in Mexico. There are so many tequilas out there that this one sort of loses its way in the mix. A bottle usually costs around $30.00 so its price point is good. It's best application will be in mixed drinks rather than straight up.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments