Overall rating

Aroma-Nose

Initial Taste

Body

Finish

Enjoyability

Price

Presentation

Higher proof tequilas are appearing more and more in the marketplace these days. Dulce Vida was one of the first out there from a group in Austin, Texas. The bottles are striking and the presentation is classy, yet hip. It definitely gets your attention.

Price: $40-45/bottle

Aroma: Cooked agave with herbal and vegetal notes...and a nose of alcohol

Initial Taste: Lowland agave taste with really heavy herbal notes.

Body: Medium thickness with nice oils. The heavy vegetal, earthy and herbal notes take over the agave too much and make it a bit medicinal with a strong alcohol flavor.

Finish: There’s a lot of flavors going on, but the overall profile has a real harshness that makes it difficult to enjoy neat. The agave tastes a bit raw and the herbs taste medicinal. Strong flavors, but just too many rough edges.

There's times where I feel like my reviews can be a bit unfair because obviously my preferred taste won't necessarily match those of everyone out there. There's plenty of people who seek out 125+ proof whiskeys, but that's not really my thing either.

If you are a person who loves high proof spirits and/or a really herbaceous blanco, then you will probably love Dulce Vida. For me personally, I think that this would make a really unique mixed drink and also that aged varieties of Dulce Vida will have a lot of complexity and character.

I wish that I could say one thing and just run with it, but I want to be fair to what I'm tasting and I encourage you to do the same. This tequila is probably not for newbies. And experienced tequila drinkers will probably enjoy the challenge and complexity of this blanco.
TT
#1 Reviewer 414 reviews
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments