Overall rating

Aroma-Nose

Initial Taste

Body

Finish

Enjoyability

Price

Presentation

I visited Oaxaca in 2010 and had a chance to attend a mezcal festival. I believe this happens only once a year during the Guelaguetza Music Festival. For the sum of only 50 pesos (about $4.00) you could sample as many mezcals as you wished. I had the opportunity to taste about 40 mezcals. Many of these were anjeos and I had never had an anjeo mezcal before. This is, of course, not an anjeo mezcal. I had tasted it one time before, but, unfortunately, it was not at the mezcal festival in Oaxaca. So - I am trying to compare the flavor of this mezcal to anjeo mezcals. Of the 40 mezcals I tried there were only two that I liked as much as tobala mezcal. I believe the difference is in the fact that tobala is wild-collected and not cultivated for production. If you want a strong distinctive mezcal that tastes like no other - this is the one. I believe it is difficult for an American to really fully appreciate the flavor of a true mezcal. Get ready for a shock to your system - nose, tongue, mouth, throat and, finally stomach. Mezcals are not for everyone - but they are for me. The tobala mezcal is only processed once a year so the bottles are relatively precious. Buy one - if you can - taste and compare- you will be amazed.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments