Overall rating

Aroma-Nose

Initial Taste

Body

Finish

Enjoyability

Price

Presentation

Light straw color. When swirled in snifter, a thick rim formed at the top of the swirl line, where fast, long-lasting legs appeared.My initial impression of the nose was bananas foster, a sweet bourbon/caramel with bananas, and a splash of Grand Marnier oranginess to boot. There was something just underneath that, some agave I think, and it made for interesting layers of smell. It is sweet, with definite hints of bourbon barrel aging (even though I can find no verification of this, the KAH site just says American Oak), but it's a real nice taste. The sweetness doesn't last long, and it gives way to something more earthy. Not much heat, just a touch, with a little alcohol burn on the back of the throat. I got something that reminded me of the fatty part of a grilled salmon fillet, which I don't know how to describe beyond saying that. I found it to be rich and a tiny bit smokey, I guess. Anyway, there is nothing at all to dislike about this anejo. Perfect nightcap sipper, as good as any cognac in its price range. On a side note, I tasted while having a fried egg, bacon, tomato and avocado sandwich. I found the two to pair quite well, between the creaminess of the egg yolk and avocado, the acid of the tomato and the smokiness of the bacon. I highly recommend it.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 1

Comments